Parents Forced To Pull Plug On 13-Year-Old Daughter After Sleepover Tragedy

Note: we are republishing this story which originally made the news in May 2023.

In an interview, Ally Langdon broke down while speaking to grieving parents who lost their 13-year-old daughter, Esra Haynes, due to a horrifying trend among teens. Esra tragically lost her life after inhaling toxic household chemicals in an attempt to get high during a sleep-over in Melbourne.

Andrea and Paul Haynes tearfully recounted the nightmarish moment when they received the dreaded call, urging them to rush to their daughter’s side. Despite desperate efforts by paramedics and police, Esra went into cardiac arrest from inhaling deodorant and was placed on life support. Despite clinging to hope, a scan revealed the heartbreaking truth – Esra had sustained irreparable brain damage.

Photo Credit: 7NEWS Australia/Youtube

Photo Credit: 7NEWS Australia/Youtube

The agonizing decision to turn off Esra’s life support followed, and her family gathered to say their final goodbyes. Ally Langdon, visibly moved by their memories, couldn’t hold back her own tears.

The devastating trend of inhaling chrome-based paint and other household chemicals, such as deodorant and bug spray, has claimed the lives of over a dozen young Australians since 2009. Determined to prevent further tragedies, Andrea and Paul are on a mission to educate children about the dangers of chroming.

Photo Credit: 7NEWS Australia/Youtube

Photo Credit: 7NEWS Australia/Youtube

Paul stressed, “It’s unquestionable that this will be our crusade.” He emphasized that Esra would not have engaged in such harmful behavior on her own, expressing their commitment to preventing others from facing the same fate.

Esra, a talented athlete, had a bright future ahead of her. She excelled in aerobics, leading her team to a national championship in Queensland and raced BMX bikes alongside her brothers. Her infectious laughter and smile touched the hearts of many, leaving her friends and community devastated by her untimely departure.

Photo Credit: 7NEWS Australia/Youtube

Photo Credit: 7NEWS Australia/Youtube

The tragic incident has also brought attention to the easy accessibility of aerosol canisters for young people. Retail giants like Coles, Kmart, and Woolworths have already taken steps to protect young minds by locking up aerosol products in certain areas. However, this dangerous trend continues to persist in various parts of Australia, calling for more comprehensive measures.

The loss of Esra has left her family shattered, and her school community is reeling from the tragedy. The Victorian Department of Education is providing counseling support to students and staff as they mourn the loss of the young girl.

Photo Credit: 7NEWS Australia/Youtube

Photo Credit: 7NEWS Australia/Youtube

With chroming wreaking havoc in several regions, authorities must step up their efforts to curtail access to these harmful substances. The collective goal is to ensure that no more young lives are lost to this alarming and dangerous trend.

Sources: Daily Mail